Monday, December 31, 2012

Ready Or Not Here It Comes

Happy New Years Eve to you all! 2013 will be upon us in a matter of hours. Hard to believe. 2012 where did you go? Once again I find myself this new year’s without any plans. Not sure what it is about me and new year’s, but I’m often home alone and maybe having a small pity party. I might be home alone this year, but I think I will forego the pity party. I have two half bottles of wine I think I might finish, watch the ball drop in Times Square and just maybe do a little writing.

It’s been quite some time since I’ve updated this blog. My main excuse can be lack of internet access. I’m aware it’s not a really good excuse as any McDonald’s or Starbucks could provide it. One of my new year’s resolutions is to do better with that. I miss the writing and connecting with other bloggers.

So let’s catch up on the last six months shall we? Last time I wrote I had just taken a trip to Europe for a study abroad and was in the process of buying a house. July brought a sad and unexpected surprise, my grandfather passed away. He had a stroke several years ago, but by all accounts was doing well and was not in bad health so it came as a surprise. The day of his funeral I got word of the final approval on my house and closed on it just days later. One chapter of life ending, while a new one began.

I have been in my house since the end of July. Homeownership has been wonderful so far. I love my house and glad I stuck it out for this one. End of September I had a house warming party. It was really nice to entertain and show off the house a bit.

September brought another sad, unexpected surprise. My dog that would have been 15 years old this December died. I was wreck over her death and felt guilty for months after it. She always stayed inside and because of my long work hours and her age would often go to the bathroom in the house. I put towels down and she would go on them, but it was a daily occurrence to come home and have to clean up after her.

Well the day she died, I put her outside in my fenced in yard during my lunch break. I had a visitor coming to stay with me for a few days and wasn’t sure of what time he’d be arriving. I didn’t want to be cleaning up dog pee as his first introduction to my house. But when I arrived home 5 hours later I found my dog dead on the back porch. Worst feeling ever. I had fought my parents so much to keep her when they had wanted to put her down and then because of something I did, she died. I wish so bad that I had just left her in the house. I had let her in and literally at the last second I put her back out.

As maybe you can tell 2012 has been glorious and butt kicking at the same time. I’ve traveled to places I’ve never been, on trips I will never forget. I lost my last living grandparent, and a pet I had more than half my life. I bought my first home. It’s been quite a year.

The new home has brought other new milestones with it. First Thanksgiving dinner at my house. My first solo Christmas tree.

2013 is well on it’s way and travel plans are already made to get it off to a great start. Come February I will be cruising the ocean blue to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel. I’ve never been on a cruise before and I’m so excited to be spending my 28th birthday aboard the ship.

I also hope to start my new major this coming year. I’ve decided to drop the politics and try for international business. I would really love to live and work abroad one day. I’ve enjoyed the political science major, I just think a background in business will be more beneficial in the long run. I worry about the cost versus the benefit. I was lucky enough to come out of undergrad with no loan debt, but I would have to take out loans to go to grad school full time. The program won’t start until the fall, so I have some time to figure it out.

As for new year’s resolutions:

1. Work on my relationships. Be a better friend, daughter, co-worker. Put some effort into meeting someone.

2. Eat something healthy every day. A piece of fruit, vegetable, etc. I eat way too much processed food.

3. Be happy in the now. I think I am, but it’s always worth repeating.

I hope the holidays have been kind to you all and that you’re excited for what the new year has to bring. For the people that have chosen to remain in my life, I love you and thank you for whatever role you have played. For those that decided you no longer wanted to be a part of my life, I wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!