"When are you due?"
That is the question that ruined my day.
That is the question that was a huge shot to my ego.
That is the question that reinforced my lean cuisine with a banana and water lunch.
So I was at work today, cashing a check for a non member. We had been exchanging the usual pleasantries, she complimented me on my ring, etc. However, she blows it all by asking at the end of her transaction when I was due.....
Oh...no, I'm not pregnant.
She then followed with the "Oh I'm so sorry."
Yep yep you should be.
She went on to explain that her two daughters are pregnant right now. Well no matter what your excuse is, your daughters are pregnant, my shirt made me look pregnant, or maybe I'm just a little pudgy in the tummy area. Whatever.
We ALL know that you don't ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you are absolutely positive. GEEZ.
This is the first time that I've ever been asked that and I just don't get how people can continue to do this. It happened to a co-worker a few months ago when a customer asked her the same thing.
How many times do people have to put their foot in their mouth before they realize you don't ask this question!!!
I mean COME on.
No I don't have six pack abs, but damn I don't look pregnant! Ridiculous.
*Sigh* It's time for a trip to the gym.
Oh my gosh! My students have asked me that before!!! It is super annoying, and just very awkward for all involved.
ReplyDeletefunny story... (hi i'm eliza and new to your blog!)... my best friend was studying abroad in europe when she stumbled on a sidewalk in france. this dude came up to her and said in english:
ReplyDelete"you 'ave to be careful... of ze bebe!" then he gave her a concerned pat and walked off.
Ugh, what is wrong with people?!?! I was asked this a few times in the past and it always burns me up!
ReplyDeleteugh. That is lame. Why do people seem to think that is a great conversation starter?
ReplyDeleteIt's questions like this one, along with "When are you going to get married?" that should absolutely reinforce your decision on getting away from Munford for a while be it joining the Peace Corps or some other avenue. Not saying people elsewhere don't ask these same questions but your chances of dealing with socially clueless people are certainly a bit higher there :-)
ReplyDeleteI feel you home gal! The other day my colleague (who is by no means obese) was talking about how she's trying to lose weight for the summer, and hadn't lost any this week, and another colleague said to her, "well, the people on biggest loser sometimes don't lose weight in a week, so you should be okay" - awwwwkkkkkward. Clearly collegue 2 was ignorant to the fact that she was comparing colleague 1 to super obese people but colleague 1 clearly got the message.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, a 5 yr-old pointed to my growing gut last week and said inquisitively, "there's a baby in there?" ~ needless to say I am about to stop eating... but at least it was cute when he did it. There is no excuse for these dumb and ignorant adults!
Someone asked me that once too! I was pissed! No need to ask, even if you are thinking it!
ReplyDelete