Monday, March 14, 2011

Terms of a (Sorta) Commitment

Relationship. Boyfriend.  Girlfriend.  Casually dating.  Low key dating.  Friends with benefits. 

Relationships are very complicated these days and all the different terms we use to describe them.  This all stems from a conversation I had with a guy last night.  We were casually involved at one point several years ago when we worked together, but live in separate states now.  As is somewhat typical of him he asked me for a "sexy picture".  Lol..ummm I'm not real big on the picture thing, so no I did not oblige him.  Then I think to ask him if he has a girlfriend now.  You know we live in different states, I don't know all the details of his life, so I don't know if he is dating someone. 

Well he replies with "sorta".
 He "sorta" has a girlfriend.
 LOL  WTF??

So you just asked me for a naked picture, but you sorta have a girlfriend?  NICE.  Guess I should have asked that question twenty minutes ago.  I could do nothing but laugh.  I mean what an ass!  But how funny and ridiculous.   
I'm sure his "sorta" girlfriend wouldn't find it so funny.  But then again she might.
 
There is an important lesson to be learned here.  Don't assume that just because a guy asks you for a sexy/naked picture, that he is single.  And don't assume that just because you are "sorta" dating a guy, that he is not out there asking other women for sexy pictures.  It's a tough world out there.  Know where you stand with someone.  Set your boundaries.  Know what you are okay with or not okay with. 
As another blogger pointed out, gone are the olden days, where it is a scandal for men and women to hold hands; where women are courted and even chaperoned on dates. 

Is anything ever black and white?  Relationships in particular just seem to be tainted with shades of grey.  Hence the reason we use so many different terms to describe how we are involved with a person of the opposite sex.  What are the terms of commitment now?  Are there any?
When you're just "sorta" dating someone does that mean it's okay to approach other women and be casually involved with them as well?  Do we use terms like "casually dating" or  "low key dating" because we're not ready for a serious commitment?  Or because we're just passing time with this person and don't deem it necessary to give it a solid title?  Because we want to give ourselves an "out" if someone or something better comes along? 

All these things are fine as long as you AND the other person are on the same page with it.  Be open and honest  with whoever you're involved with.  Give them the chance to decide for themselves what they're okay with or not okay with.  Don't spring a "sorta" girlfriend on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!