Several months ago I came across this article via CNN.com about a woman that is newly single and some of her tips to "up" your resale value while in between relationships.
I thought I would share some of those here :)
To Build Your Confidence
1. Go to a movie alone.
2. Work out, lift weights
3. Try an activity you don't already know how to do
4. Take out the trash, set a mousetrap, build a bookcase (do something you might ordinarily ask your significant other to do)
To Be Able to Look Back and Say "I Had Fun"
1. Get drunk during the day just because you can
2. Go on a date with someone that makes you nervous
3. Go on a date with an older man that makes you feel like a million bucks
4. Go on a date with a guy who makes you laugh 'til it hurts
5. Watch as much reality tv as you want
To Get Perspective
1. Be a good wingwoman. It's not always about you.
2. Volunteer
3. Spend time with an older widowed relative, they know "alone"
To Make You Appreciate the Next Guy
1. Spend one Valentine's Day alone
2. Attending a wedding alone
To Make You Feel Sexy and Attractive
1. Buy yourself some flowers
2. Invest in a little black dress and some sexy stilettos
3. Buy something frivolous and expensive that you LOVE
To Make the Most of Your Free Time
1. Finish all your schooling
2. Throw yourself into something time-consuming, like learning a foreign language
To Make Yourself a Better Partner in the Future
1. Make a list of your faults
2. Learn to cook well
3. Get some hobbies
4. Get your finances in order
To Appreciate Being Single
1. Babysit someone's baby for an hour
2. Help a friend through a divorce or bad break-up
3. Host a girl's only night
I hope this list was a little helpful or at least made you smile.
Would you add anything? Take away anything?
What do you think ups your retail value?
I think the list puts some things in perspective..there are positives to being single..it is good to have some time to work on ourself so we will be ready when that right person comes along. Sometimes it's just nice to have a chance to do things we maybe wouldn't do if we were in a relationship. Would you spend time volunteering? Would you go visit your lonely grandma? Would you take up new cooking classes? Would you go back to school and finish your degree?
I think in relationships sometimes it's easy to become settled and comfortable and not reach for more.
Don't spend all your time single wishing to be with someone.
Enjoy it. Embrace it. Reach for more.
I love this list. Love it. Great post.
ReplyDeleteWhile I like to think that I would go out and "be involved" if I were single again, I really want to actually live that life while I'm married. I keep meaning to volunteer with a local organization, or take a writing class, but I never have. It's not that my husband wouldn't allow it, far from it - he encourages my independence and thinks it's hugely important that I have "my own life" (as I do of him). Weird how we fall into certain habits, hey?
I think you're absolutely right about the becoming settled and comfortable in a relationship, too. It's so important to switch things up, continue to go out on dates, have adventures . . . live.
Love this post - made me think. :)
It's a good list, but I keep thinking it's important we do this things whether or not we are single. I am always singe, so reading this list makes me think "obviously, this is just living life well."
ReplyDeleteOh of course we should always do these things, but that's easier said than done. You get busy with..life and maybe just don't. Just thought it was a good reminder and maybe a good "pick me up" for someone that might be newly single.
ReplyDelete