I had my first house hunting expedition yesterday. My parents and I met the realtor after I got off work and we saw 5 houses. The excitement I expressed last post is somewhat gone. I thought I had found some homes in my price range. Well what I realized is that even in small town Tennessee, my money doesn't go far.
Driving home after seeing the houses and I'm just thinking, maybe I'll rent for a while. It's all just a struggle. I want my own place and space and something I can grow into and be proud of. I think part of it is hard because it's just me. It's exciting to house hunt for myself, but it's a different kind of excitement. It's not like looking for a house with a husband and planning a family and a future. So it feels a little lonely. That and I've never lived by myself before, so again the lonely factor.
Looking for a house is a little like getting a tattoo. You get one tattoo and you want another and it's hard to shake that itch. It's addictive. So I'm kind of addicted to wanting to own a home, even though it may not be the best option. But I also know myself well enough, that I KNOW I won't jump into a decision. I agonize over picking wrapping paper and birthday cards, I'm sure I won't decide on a home lightly.
There's just so many questions to answer. Do I want to live in a subdivision or have more space? Do I want something that will need work or completely move in ready? What can I afford? Will I be stuck here if I take that leap into homeownership?
Part of my problem is that I know my job isn't my long term dream job and I'm afraid I'm not going to meet someone here. I want to go somewhere new, where there are more opportunities to meet people and find that ultimate dream job. Maybe I just need to accept part of these issues is just a matter of being in my twenties and having to pay my dues to some extent.
Does anyone have any advice that has gone through the house hunting battle? Or buying versus renting? How do you know when it's the right time? How do you pump up the excitement in your single life? Any suggestions for a great place to move?
I remember house hunting alone at age 26. It was overwhelming! I ended up not buying a house and am so grateful I did, because my dad ended up being terminally ill and I had to take care of him, and then about a year later I took care of my grandpa until he died. So for me I'm glad I was not tied down.
ReplyDeleteI think if you're feeling like you want to leave your town in the next few years, renting may be a better option. I say run some numbers, see what the market is like (i.e. will you be able to sell your house w/out taking a big loss) and do some hard thinking about what you want your future to be.
Home ownership changes a lot, and seems to suck away all of your income. I just say dream of the life you want and if owning your own home fits into that, go for it!
Hey, you know me...I'll move where the opportunity, job, or my heart takes me. Home ownership isn't conducive to that lifestyle for me, but that's just me. I choose to lease someplace that makes me happy and the numbers (so far) have worked out to be good for me when I compare taxes, time, etc, etc, etc. I absolutely understand the lonely factor. That's why I continuously strive to surround myself with good people AND to make my home a place I'm comfortable in - with just me. :) Hang in there!
ReplyDelete