Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Global Warming Anyone?

Is anyone else a little freaked out by the harsh and unusual weather patterns we've been having? 
I mean let's not even talk about the Rapture and Judgement Day that came and went without a glitch. 

But seriously, the weather for the last few years has been insane.  Of course I can't vouch for the entire world, but I know in my little part of the U.S. we have had weather to the extreme and out of the norm. 

From heat indexes last summer in the 120s, to the Mississippi River flooding two years in a row now, to several snow storms over the Winter.  I live in Memphis, Tennessee it used to be pretty rare for us to get any snow.  This Winter we seemed to have snow every other week.  Now I'm not saying we had a blizzard, but definitely more than usual.  However, the Northeast DID have blizzard snowfall. 

Now lets talk about some of the really extreme weather. 
Tornadoes, Earthquakes, and Tsunamis.
Sounds kind of like lions and tigers and bears!  Oh my! 

No, but really...oh my!

I saw on the news last night that we have already had 1,000 tornadoes for the year of 2011, which is double what we had last year.  And we've had 50 deadly tornadoes, compared to last years 20.  It's pretty scary living where I do, because tornadoes have been hitting all around and I'm afraid eventually our luck is going to run out.  Not to sound morbid or anything, but some areas in nearby states have just been destroyed by tornadoes in the last few weeks.

And then there's earthquakes.  Haiti last year and Japan this year, both left devastated with large fatality numbers.  Not to mention the many, many others. Oh and did I mention that Memphis is on a major fault line?  Encouraging eh?

Truly this post isn't meant to sound like a Debbie Downer and I don't really buy into all the Mumbo Jumbo, end of the world talk.
But when you really think about it, how do we know it's NOT the end of the world? 
Wouldn't we be surprised?

I mean who's to say movies like:

Armageddon
2012
Day After Tomorrow
Independence Day
I am Legend

couldn't really happen?  It could be possible, right?  Or no?  What do you think?

Aaaaanddd in other happier news...I got promoted today!!

I interveiwed at 3 this afternoon and by 4:30 they called to tell me that I got it!  Exciting!  I hope it's all I want it to be.  And so maybe I'm thinking everything does happen for a reason.  Things just worked out too perfectly, including a set back from peace corps. 

I will continue thinking everything happens for a reason until I receive an invite from peace corps next month ;)

3 comments:

  1. I have absolutely been wondering the same for a while now. With all the crazy weather, and insane things going on in the world, could the apocalypse really be coming?! LOL

    Congratulations on the promotion!! Best of luck as you settle into the new role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather has been RIDICULOUS.

    And it's not so much an armageddon I'm worried about--I'm just thinking, what the heck is going on up in that atmosphere of ours? The geek in me wants to fly above the Earth and watch from the outside what the surface looks like as it rocks to and fro, taking us down in its wake. Maybe we just got caught in some stellar draft out there in the galaxy and it's throwing everything into flux. I dunno.

    I have a friend who just recently went through the Peace Corps app process and it didn't turn out the way she wanted it to. She's currently trying to figure out what else she wants to do instead, since joining the PC was her main goal. I wish you infinite luck and good tidings with the promotion and all that jazz! Thanks for the friend request on 20SB, by the way. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. the weather is so scary! i hope it starts cooperating soon...

    congratulations on the promotion! i definitely believe all things happen for a reason. can't wait to see where you go :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!