Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shows Worth Talking About

I like to think that I don't watch THAT much television.

I just have certain shows I enjoy watching and well if I have a show for each night of the week then I can't help that can I? 

No really I don't watch a lot of tv.  I'm at work through out the day and only watch an hour or so at night while I'm being distracted with a book or the computer. 

But one show I do enjoy watching is Grey's Anatomy.  I'm really hoping this show doesn't get cancelled in the near future, but I have my fears.  Anyone else fearing that??  I get so wrapped up in it and I LOVE to talk about this show!  I own every season and can watch them for hours at a time!  It bums me out that my co-workers don't watch it and I have no one to talk to about Derek and Meredith or Christina and Owen. 

Now it's May, the month of season finales and the start of summer shows.  I can't be all sad to see Grey's and America's Next Top Model go for the summer because it's the start of the Bachelorette and So You Think You Can Dance.  I really watch quality tv can't you tell?

I wanted to talk about the Bachelorette for a minute.  I'm not sure how much stock I put into the Bachelor and Bachelorette when it actually comes to finding love.  However, I have considered applying for the show because what is there to lose?  Except maybe my dignity and the possibility of being completely humiliated on tv.  I do think the show is tasteful overall.  They give it a good go. 

But what I really want to bring up is how it appears Ashley (the new bachelorette) inevitably falls for the "bad guy".  The ONE guy she is warned about before he even gets there, she gives her heart to.  Now I'm just going off what they showed on the previews, but the guy appears to be a complete douche.  Claiming he doesn't care about Ashley and had hoped the bachelorette would be Emily.  In course breaking Ashley's heart. 

It just leads me to wonder, do we always want the one that we shouldn't?  Do we always want the things we can't have? 

Do we desire the married man simply because he's married?  And we come up with all these excuses to make it right in our mind. 

Do we want the bad guy because we want to show that he can change for us?  That somehow we're enough to cause that change in him?  That our feelings weren't misplaced by loving this douche bag? 

I've been a pretty consistent watcher of the show, but I do have some problems with it.   

Like people getting engaged after knowing each other for a matter of weeks.  I mean I know that happens in "real" life too, but I just can't imagine it.  Especially someone you met via a reality show.  That's not real dating. 

And why would you want to get engaged to someone that just spent the past few weeks dating not only you, but twenty other women?  I mean that's great he chose you in the end, but like in Ashley's case she's heart broken by this other guy and yet she'll probably choose another man in the end. 

How is that true love?  Love that's going to last a lifetime? 

She's choosing a man because, as it was seen in the past, it's an unpopular decision to NOT choose anyone. 

                                                               
Another show I want to mention is The Talk. 

It's a day time talk show and I hope you've had a chance to see it! 

It's hosted by Julie Chen, Holly Robinson Peete, Sharon Osbourne, Sara Gilbert, and Leah Remini.  As you can see the hosts are very diverse in age, ethnicity, background, sexual preferences, etc.  I might be way out of the loop but I just found out Sara Gilbert is a lesbian with a girlfriend and two children.  Definitely didn't know that but good for her.   

I love this show because they all seem to get along great and it's nice to see women having a sort of round table discussion.  Discussing anything under the sun and not being afraid to really open up and possibly make a fool of themselves.  It's fun, it's serious, it's emotional, it's so many things wrapped into one show. 

In today's society I don't think we see enough supportive and encouraging female relationships and this show provides just that. 

So there's my rant on some shows I enjoy watching. 
What are you watching this summer?
What shows are you counting down the days til the fall premiere? 



3 comments:

  1. I think it is a bit difficult to answer some of those questions. I personally wouldn't choose a married man, unless I am married to that particular man. I can't imagine ever choosing someone who has already chose someone else and be a party to harming another person. If it happened to me, I would be heartbroken.
    I think that sometimes, the "bad boys" are the ones who, if they can be tied down, could be the best mate. My boyfriend is a reformed bad boy and while I was pretty naive when we began our relationship and didn't recognize the signs of bad boy before I fell in love with him, now at the end of the day, he is committed to me, 100% but still has a spark that if he weren't a bit bad, he wouldn't have. That's not to say he has no personality, but that he is a little mysterious and a bit hard to pin down. I like that others can't pin him down, but that we belong to each other.

    As for shows, I love Gossip Girl, 90210, the Real World, Parenthood (probably the best of the bunch, check it out) and America's Next Top Model. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Greys Anatomy too, and I'm actually quite disappointed in myself because I'm still only at episode 11 of this latest season. :(
    I really need to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen, SYTYCD IS quality television! :-) Fox has it's issues with always playing to the cheap gimmicks, but as far as a "reality" show, this is the only one I watch that actually showcases people of talent and merit. LOVE Parenthood as well. And I have not seen The Talk, but I can appreciate a panel of female role models/strong icons that aren't afraid to ask big questions and start discussions within our society. I will have to check it out sometime.
    (And I especially hate shows like the Bachelor, etc. My biggest issue is that it's exactly what you said, one man cheating with 20 women at the same time on TV and each woman is told it's okay, and vice versa. Makes my skin crawl.)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!