So I heard from the placement officer yesterday and unfortunately I heard what I didn't want to hear. I am currently not qualified for a health position either. My experience in the health field was more in an administrative and fundraising kind of way and not directly health related. I kind of don't understand how a person would get direct, hands on health experience if you don't have a degree in a health field. What's to keep any Joe Schmoe from walking off the street and doing hands on work with people in hospitals or clinics?
The placement officer is going to check with the health desk and get back to me. Said she's going to see if there's enough of a need in that area that if I gained more experience I might be able to get a placement. So as of this moment, I'm not entirely out yet, but it could be coming. It's disappointing.
The placement officer did say she's working with several people who do not qualify for a business placement, but might be qualified for other areas. So I'm not alone even though it feels like it sometimes. It's just hard to believe that after all this time dealing with Peace Corps, my journey might be ending without a placement.
**Side note- blogger didn't save half of my post so in my anger I left it for several hours and am finishing it now.
Along with this uncertainty about Peace Corps, I think it's going to be a stressful two weeks if Monday was any indication of how it's going to go. My boss is out of the office/country for two weeks which means yours truly is in charge. It is kind of exciting and I'm happy to have the opportunity to prove myself and show that I can handle it. It is kind of different having the boss be out of country, because it's not like she's just on vacation. I can't really get in touch with her AT ALL while she's in Italy. So it leaves me feeling like I need to be at work all the time. Not that I don't trust my staff or don't think they can handle it, I just want them to know I'm there if they need me. Not to mention if anything goes wrong it'll come back on me.
First day without the boss was kind of crazy. First thing Monday morning and the ATM is down and needs a service call. Then I'm getting 50 emails from another department about errors on a bank wire. The lady that did the wire was off (of course right?) so I'm taking care of it. Which that's no big deal, that's my job, it's just that that department is not very nice in there correspondence. I was so sick of getting emails about that bank wire. Needless to say I had a headache before lunch time.
And we're training people at our branch all month long, so we automatically have 3 extra people there, plus we have a helper because we're short a person because the boss is on vacation. So altogether we have 4 people that don't usually work there. It makes it feel like you have a visitor in your home all the time. And we all love visitors but it gets to a point where it's like okay you need to go now.
Today is my day off and I had to finish a 7-10 page paper that I have to turn in today even though it is Fall Break. I also have to go to a mandatory work meeting about our health insurance. And of course today the temps have dropped to the 50s and it's raining. So while I would much rather be sitting at home in sweats or pjs (which I'm still in at 1 in the afternoon) watching SVU or America's Next Top Model marathons, I am about to shower and drive 45 minutes to the city in the rain. :)
Have a happy day folks!
I'm so sorry you didn't get better news from the Peace Corps :(
ReplyDelete