That's right, the time is here. The ending of the year. Out with the old, in with the new. I'm not sure if it makes me feel sad and regretful for the things I didn't or haven't done this year, or if it makes me feel energized to get the new year started. A little of both I guess.
I don't know why, but after Christmas I am just ready to take down the calendar and replace it with the new one. Ready to start fresh.
While I'm ready for that fresh start, I like to remember what this year has brought my way.
Perhaps the biggest thing this year was the addition to our family! My precious nephew was born in June and I've had a fun time filling the Aunt role.
I've received a promotion and a half at work. The second will become official/effective around my birthday in February.
I FINALLY took the GRE and was accepted into graduate school. Even made an A- in my first class!
Did a little traveling. Took a trip to Houston and attended my first rodeo! And just recently went to Las Vegas. While I've been to both places before, they're always fun for a revisit and they were family trips.
It was a good year of entertainment. I went to the Morgan Keegan's Tennis Championships and got to see some pro tennis players SUPER close. I saw a Sugarland concert in Houston. And saw NKOTB/ BSB in concert.
When I reflect back on the year, I have to say it was pretty good. I'm making baby steps and I know I'll get where I want to be. Life isn't always about the big moments, but the small ones that make a difference.
After Christmas I think I always get in a hurry for the new year, because new years eve has never been a great time for me. I usually do not have plans and spend the evening alone at home. Lol that's kind of sad, but very true. These days I can hardly even stay awake til midnight, so maybe it won't be such a big deal. Do you usually go out and do it up big with friends? Or do you spend a quiet evening at home?
I don't necessarily want to be out with a bunch of strangers, I would just like a smaller celebration with good company and maybe a little bubbly. Maybe one year I'll make it to NYC and see the infamous ball drop.
For 2012 that's my one big goal is to do more traveling, international traveling. My plan is to go to London and Berlin with the study abroad program. If for whatever reason that doesn't work out, maybe I'll go to Japan to visit my brother and family. AND if neither of those happen, I'm sure I'll come up with something else! My dream trip is still to go to Italy.
Other than travel, I would like to learn something new this year. I'd like to ice skate or ski or snowboard. I just want to do something I've never done before. I would also love to find a boyfriend! Lol I'm not getting any younger here! But seriously, I just want to be happy and healthy and find ways to make a difference somewhere to someone.
What are your plans for New Years? Do you have big goals for 2012?
Hope you all are safe, happy, and healthy!
I love your idea of traveling in 2012! That is a great goal! I HATE going out on New Year's Eve. A bunch of drunk strangers? Noooo thank you. Last year my grandpa stayed out later than I did! This year I am going to a cabin in the woods - nice and quiet and peaceful. Have a great New Years celebration whatever you decide to do!
ReplyDeleteI have had the travel bug bad ever since I went to Italy to study abroad and loved it!!! I want to do a lot of traveling in 2012! Found your blog cause u added me as a friend on 20 something bloggers and I love it, it's one of my faves I've found so far. : )
ReplyDelete-Sarah from www.bravedays.com
Ps. Now I'm followin' ya
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way as you did when the new year approached. I had a pretty good year, for all of the ups and downs...but wow, once the last days came I was emotionally drained and ready to turn the page of the calendar. It feels like a great time to start over and try again, you know? Happy 2012!
ReplyDelete~SP