Sunday, February 12, 2012

Oh My..

Oh my..friends it is that time of year again.

Valentine's Day is fast approaching and then a few days later it is my 27th birthday. I have to say this blog is really fun, because I just re-read the post I had written this time last year. It's nice to be able to see where I was at this time last year and the thoughts I decided to put out there about the holiday.

I don't think much has changed since then. Still single and I think that about sums it up. One thing I've noticed this year is a somewhat Anti-Valentine's Day sentiment. A local radio station has been advertising a night out for the single's. A night where you can "roast" your ex and you're encouraged to bring a picture of the ex for the dart board. I also noticed that they're showing the movie He's Just Not That Into You on tv. Not exactly the feel good, romance movie for Valentine's Day. I think it's just interesting to see and maybe a little nice that everything isn't geared towards couples.

I need to buy that movie though, sad to say that it's almost encouraging and acts as a good reminder sometimes. If the guy is not calling you, then he's just NOT that into you. If a guy wants to be with you, then he'll find a way to make it happen. I love that the movie is so representative of today from the comments on caller id, cyber stalking, and the many forms of technology we can be rejected through, it really hits home.

But I LOVE the ending comments of the movie. That maybe the happy ending is just moving on. Maybe the happy ending doesn't involve a wonderful guy, maybe it's you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over. Freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Or maybe the happy ending is knowing you never gave up hope.

Now that's an inspirational message.

So I just have to work on the not giving up hope part as I spend this Valentine's Day dreaming about a guy that is totally inappropriate for me right now. The good news is that I will get to spend the evening looking at him for three hours as Valentine's Day just so happens to be the night of my class. Meant to be?

What are your plans for Valentine's Day this year? Have you noticed an Anti-Valentine's Day sentiment where you are? I have to admit I really wanted to buy some of those old school Valentine's Day cards like we used to bring in elementary school to put in our classmates' homemade Valentine box. Pleeeease tell me you remember those! I really liked the ones with the cats and dogs on them or the ones that came with airhead candy. I'm sure my grad school classmates would have enjoyed those, but it might have been a little too obvious if I gave the teacher a BE MINE valentine. :)

In general, February is just not my favorite month. Odd since it is the month of my birthday. But it's because it's the month of Valentine's Day and my birthday that it always brings up these questions about life and love and where I'm going. I am soon to be 27 and I still live at home. My birthday plans revolve around my parents as they are essentially the only people I have available to do something with. Not to down play the relationship between parents and children because it's very special and I feel lucky to have them so much in my life, but at this point shouldn't birthday plans be revolving around someone else? Friends, boyfriend, lover, etc?

Really I feel like I'm more of a burden to them that they have to do something with me on my birthday because I have no one else. Mom is studying for a test so that puts it mostly on Dad and I know he'd rather not spend the day at a tennis match or a play.

Maybe it's a little silly in general that I still make a big deal of my birthday. I'm one of those people that start the countdown a month before time and remind people every so often the number of weeks or days until the big day. :)

Oh friends sometimes I just worry that maybe I really am crazy.

4 comments:

  1. Remember Valentine's Day can be about all the people you love. You don't need a boyfriend to celebrate this holiday in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so needed to read something like this. I am not a fan of Valentines Day to begin with. One day to tell people you love them seems silly to me when you should tell them all year long. But it could also be that I have never been in a relationship, so I've never had a special someone to celebrate with.

    After reading this I think my Tuesday night plans will be watching He's Just Not That Into You. I had forgotten how great the message at the end is.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have someone in my life, and I still think Valentine's Day is stupid. Her and I agreed not to buy into the commercialism and get each other anything. We'd rather just write the other person a letter and go out to dinner on a day when the restaurants aren't packed with lovey-dovey, gag-me-with-a-wooden-spoon-until-I-puke couples.

    When the time is right, you'll celebrate the day with a lucky guy. Until then, enjoy your Tuesday night eye candy :D (I have two classes on Tuesday night, but both are taught my old ladies. Nope, not for me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may watch one of my old gangster movies Tuesday. :) Oh, and remind me if I don't wish you happy bday! I'm getting forgetful in my spinsterhood. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!