Wednesday, January 19, 2011

We're Adults...When Did That Happen?

And how do we stop it??

Today was kind of important in two ways. One- I mailed my medical kit today...eek it makes me nervous.  I checked and rechecked it so many times so I'm hoping everything is good to go, but I won't be too surprised if I get a letter or call at some point saying they need something else. 

Second important thing-my birthday is exactly one month away.  The big 26!  And I know this may sound trite or trivial but man..26 is sounding kinda old right now. 

And it's funny that the other day I posted about how motivated I was and excited about the future..then of course the next day something happens to just bring it all crashing down again.  I was told I really needed to think about things with the peace corps before leaving a good job, 401k, all that jazz.  I was reminded that I would be 28, 29 when I return..single and without a job.  These are all valid points..so of course it makes a person stop and think.  But at the same time I'm thinking So What??  I'd be doing a good thing for myself and for other people.  How many 28 year olds can say they lived in another country for two years?  Got to study and live the language and culture of another country?  And it just annoys me that I let myself feel bad about single.  Why is it a bad thing that I'm 25 and single?  Sorry I haven't met the love of my life yet and don't want to settle for anything less.  Sorry I didn't get pregnant at 20, married and divorced by 23.  There's nothing wrong with that if you have, but don't make me feel bad because I'm choosing a different life for myself.  I would love to meet THE guy and live happily ever after.  But at the moment that's just not my reality, so in the mean time I'm gonna be me and hope that the rest falls into place. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm 27, single and I've been told the same thing!! Most of my family/friends are supportive, but there are a few who just don't get it and think I'm off my rocker to pick up and move across the world when I "should be settling down to start a family." It did give me pause because I am leaving a good job and will be almost 30 (!!) when I return, but in the end I know that it will be worth it. And you're right... how many 28/29 year olds can say they lived in another country!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I turned 27 a few months ago, I decided I had better do something exciting with my life while I still could! I think this is the perfect age to join the Peace Corps. We'll have time for careers and families later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty lucky that I don't get much crap for being single at 27, but I do bug MYSELF about it occasionally... My thinking is that all my friends who did get married young (and honestly it's a lot of them) don't have this opportunity that I do :) It's twice as hard for a couple to get into PC, let alone the fact that once you're married, you're more "settled"... two years is the blink of an eye in how long your life will be - hold your head high and do what you want :) good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments ladies! It's always comforting to know there are other people in similar situations. We'll get our happy ending one day, with or without a man in our life. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!