Sunday, January 30, 2011

Questions That Could Change Your Life

I came across this article on CNN.com the other day which is actually from Oprah.com, 20 most important questions we should all be asking ourselves.  Some of the questions really stuck out to me and think we should all make a point to ask ourselves these on a somewhat daily basis.  Others weren't very exciting or interesting to me in particular so I'm not going to put them on here, but I would love to know what people think of these in relation to their peace corps journey or just life in general and maybe what other questions should we be asking?

1. What questions should I be asking myself?
This is kind of like brainstorming to me.  Before every paper we were always told to make notes and maybe do a rough draft.  Well we have to ask what we should be asking before we start asking anything.  Narrow down what's most important and what's really relevant.

2. Is this what I want to be doing?
This one is soooo important to me.  Life is too short to spend time doing something you don't want to.  Some things of course we have to do whether we really like them or not.  But are we in a job we really don't enjoy?  Are we in a relationship either friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend that isn't the best for us?  Am I happy and is this really what I want to be doing?

3. Why worry?
Obviously much easier said than done.  I think it's human nature to worry, or maybe just my nature to worry.  I'm getting much better though, not so much worrying as second guessing.  Maybe that's worrying too though?  I guess I just always want to make the "right" decision or "best" decision, but sometimes you have to go through a mistake to get that right, best decision or where you're meant to be.  Mistakes make us who we are, so lets stop worrying.  Stop worrying and just live.  That's something I'm working on, being present in today and not focusing so much on the past and the future that I'm not enjoying the right now.

4. How do I want the world to be different because I lived in it?
I love this question and it really makes me pause and put some thought into it.  There are so many things I would like to do in my life, but really how would I like to make my imprint on the world?  What one thing would I choose and how would or could I go about making it a reality?  The article suggests that we "live by design, not by accident."

5. How do I want to be different because I lived in this world?
Again, another great question.  How am I letting my life experiences affect me and my views?  And what experiences do I want to have?  I made a list of things to do before I'm 30 and hope to keep those things in the forefront of my mind, but still remain open to the everyday and different opportunities that come my way.

Another question I came across today on another blogger's site is, "Is peace corps right for me, right now?"
But when is there ever really a right time for peace corps?  I definitely ask myself this question about peace corps too, but when is it ever a good time to pack up all your things and move to a random country on the globe where you know no one and work there for two years?  When is it ever a good time to not stay in the States and work on your career or your personal life?  Logically, I don't think there really is a good time, it's just something you have to do. So who cares about logic?  I think it's all part of the peace corps process.  I guess it's just a matter of truly wanting the experience and the desire to do something different and get away from the every day life. 

Finally on a last note, I have not heard anything about my medical kit, whether it was received or not.  Will they definitely update my status when the kit is received?  Or is it just updated once I'm medically or dentally cleared?  I'm not slated to leave until July or August, so maybe they're not in any kind of rush to get to my medical kit. Does anyone have any insight to this?  Anyone else out there slated to leave around that time??? Maybe to the Caribbean??

2 comments:

  1. They should update your status when they receive it. It took them about 9 days to update mine. I don't leave until Sept. so I don't expect to actually be medically cleared until around May, but my toolkit says my medical packet was received! Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. geez those are hard questions. But i'm sure thats the whole point...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!