This post isn't going to be about anything in particular, but a mixture of thoughts and just things that have been going on in my life lately. I believe I've mentioned in previous posts that I work at a credit union. I really do enjoy my job and the branch I work at and the ladies I work with. There are of course frustrating days because of other co-workers within the credit union and members that just get under my skin. Like I don't understand why some people (another employee) feels the need to be so rude over the phone when I call their department trying to help a member standing in front of me. They wouldn't or at least shouldn't treat a member that way, so why speak to me that way? Lack of respect and professionalism reeaaaally annoys me. Not to mention the members, just this week a man walked right to my window, without being called, and was on his cell phone the entire time. Do people really not get how rude that is??? And the funny part is that as soon as he walked outside, he hung up. We asked the boss today about putting up a no cell phone sign while in the lobby. I get that everyone's time is important, but I cannot conduct business properly with you while you are holding a whole conversation with another person at the same time. I refuse to wait on another member that walks up to me while talking on their phone, because if something ends up wrong in their transaction because they weren't clear in their directions because they were on the phone, they will be the first one to complain about it. No thank you!
On the upside there are days when I feel so good about my job and the work I've done that day. Just knowing I was able to provide really good service to a new member or helping someone save $20 a month on their loan by bringing it to our credit union, helps make a good day. Not to mention the members that make my day just by being pleasant and interesting. The elderly people seem to touch me the most. I saw a couple that had to be in their 80s and looked like sweet teenagers as he held the door for her and held her hand as they went out. A lot of times I know I may be one of the few people they get to talk to that day, so if they want to draw out the conversation by talking about their kids, their dog, or the weather, I'll be happy to let them. Getting old really is a privilege and it's a shame that so many people don't treat it as such.
It's so funny think sometimes of how different my life could be in a few months. Here I'm making complaints about some parts of my work situation, when in a few months I could be in a different country doing entirely different work. The issues I have now may be nothing compared to what is to come. But ok..I'll get off my work soapbox for the night. :)
I want to mention two books I read last year. For a while I was really on an Africa kick, don't know why but I was really interested for a time. One of the books I read was "A Long Way Gone, Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah. Such an incredible story that tells about a boy's life and how he became a boy soldier in Sierra Leone. Reading the book I was just appalled by how recent all this was and how we tend to turn a blind eye to pretty much the entire continent of Africa. Such atrocious things happen throughout the continent on a daily basis and nothing is done. I have to admit though when I first started applying for peace corps, Africa scared me. If I had to name a place I didn't want to go, that would probably be it. I don't know how much I let my parent 's thoughts on it influence me, but I know there was a fear there. Then sometime last year when I started reapplying for peace corps, I thought I would be ok going there because that's probably where they need the most help and that's the whole point right? I wanted to go somewhere that I could really see a difference in someone else's life because of my actions. I'm not entirely sure where my feelings are on it right now, maybe that's because I'm nominated for a Caribbean country and think it unlikely I will serve in Africa, but my hat is definitely off to those that have served, are serving, or nominated to serve in an African country.
The other book I came across during my preoccupation with Africa was by Anita Shreve called "A Change in Altitude." Books by Anita Shreve always tend to be a bit different than the books I'm used to reading. I actually don't like them all that much so I don't know why I continue to buy them, but this one I actually really did like. I think it's all about the relationships and interactions between her characters that get to me. It's never an easy smooth read, she makes you question your conscience and morals and wonder how you might react in the situation she put her charcters in. In "A Change in Altitude" a young couple spends a year in Kenya. Of course I don't take everything in her book as fact about Africa or Kenya, but it did give me a glimpse of maybe what it could be like. This is definitely an interesting read if anyone wants to check it out. Also if anyone else has read Anita Shreve I would love to know what you think of her work.
I usually get really into the books I read and want to do whatever the lead character does. One book I read recently by Nora Roberts, the main character was a dog trainer and part of a search and rescue team with her three labs. Well I have a lab...so maybe I should look into training my dog to do search and rescues. :) Not to mention how the more I read, the more I want to write. I want to be an author that can just make you sob your heart out over the characters and their situation (Nicholas Sparks) , or one that can creep you out so much you're looking over your shoulder and turning the lights on as you walk through the house (Iris Johansen). Writing that can bring out such emotion is truly a talent. Maybe one day I'll be able to do that, but for now I'm enjoying writing in my blog. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!