Monday, February 28, 2011

Looking Ahead

It's hard to believe that February is just about over and Spring is almost here.  As the second month of the year is ending it makes me look back at the start of 2011 and what I've done so far.  I didn't really make any New Year's Resolutions this year, but I'm curious do most people have that "new beginning" feel at the start of the year, or on their birthday, or both?

 I started my 26th year about a week ago and I don't know if I really make a distinction between what I did in 2010 or what I did when I was 25.  Maybe it's just because my birthday is so close to the beginning of the year.  But I think in general birthdays are super important, it shows you've survived another year and live to see another day.  I think birthdays make us examine our life maybe more than the new year does, because as I get closer to 30 it makes me think about what I want to accomplish and where I want to be.  The year has an impact in the "wow it's almost time for my 10 year high school reunion" kind of way.  Or "dang I've been out of college for close to 4 years now and still haven't gone back for my Master's." 

March will bring my first out of state trip for 2011, my first concert of the year, and my first vacation from work.  I am definitely looking forward to it.  And while all these things are great, I need to start really working on me and my education and my career.  I feel like I play things too safe sometimes and I really need to work on making the life I've imagined a reality. 

Last night I did a little job searching with different International Organizations.  I would love to work with the UN, but for the most part they want at least a Master's degree.  I did find a position with CARE that I think I'm qualified for, it is in New York though.  I would absolutely love to go to New York, I've never been and would love to experience big city life, but I have to be realistic too.  The cost of living difference between TN and NY is enormous, so would I really be able to make the move if it came to that?  But this is where I play things too safe, I'll never know if I don't go and try. 

First things first, I need to take the GRE and get my butt back in school.  I think I'll feel better about myself just to be learning again and to be reading and writing again, and all those things you do when you're in school.  It probably wouldn't hurt my social life any either. 

For everyone out there, I'm curious, how is your 2011 going so far?  Are you doing what makes you happy?  Are you taking the steps to make your dreams come true?  What do you hope for in the months to come?  I wish you all the best.

P.S.  I'm including a page on my blog a story I started working on last year.  It's not much and I haven't worked on it in a long time, but I wouldn't mind some feedback.  Not so much on grammar or anything, but on content and the general idea.  Thanks and happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!