Saturday, February 5, 2011

What Would You Do?

How I spend my Friday nights is starting to become some what of a ritual, a soon to be 26 year old should probably have a better ritual than this, but it is what it is.  So the ritual is that I get home from work usually around 7 and have dinner and then the rest of the evening is spent watching tv with my mom and sister in law.  Super Nanny, What Would You Do,  Say Yes To The Dress, and Four Weddings are the shows of the evening.  I would just like to say that I have worked a solid 8 hour day or more on Friday and typically have to be at work at 830 Saturday morning.  I use this as my excuse for not being out and about like maybe a young, single woman should be.  But watching these shows really got me thinking about some things.  One of those being raising children.  Super Nanny shows that it's not just "bad" kids or "bad" parents.  There's so much more to the whole family dynamic and it made me think about how difficult raising children really can be.  It's so important to have a good mate or partner, that you have similar views on discipline, and similar views on what you want for your children, for your family.  I've always considered adoption as something I may do if or when I get married and decide to have children.  This show made me think of artificial insemination, which is something I had never thought about before.  But if say in ten years I'm still single that could be a real option.  I think it's harder for single women to adopt and I would want that experience for myself of carrying a child.  I know some people have probably stopped reading by now lol and I'm not even entirely sure why I'm talking about this. 

The other show What Would You Do? is just fascinating to me.  It's so interesting and often surprising to see how people will react in the scenarios they create.  This week one of the scenarios focused on immigration.  They were in Arizona in a restaurant and a Hispanic man, family, and two men at different points were being asked for their papers or id to prove that they were legal citizens.  Many many times other people in the restaurant spoke up for the people being questioned.  Immigration is a pretty hot topic today and it was nice to see that at the heart of the matter, when it really comes down to it, people care about people.  I think this show just encourages people to Stand UP and Speak UP if there's an injustice and encourages us all to do the right thing.  The show has also touched on topics of inter-racial relationships and how people would react if a mixed couple was being harassed and I was sooo happy to see that people of varying races defended the couple and were upset at those doing the harassing.  I remember when I was in high school my AP English teacher would post a question or topic on the board every day and for the first few minutes of class we had to write about that topic and then we would discuss.  One question that still sticks with me is "Are people inherently good with bad tendencies, or inherently bad with good tendencies?"  I said people were inherently bad and just did some good things.  I would like to take that statement back.  I really wasn't a cynic so I'm not sure why I thought the human race erred on the side of "bad", but I definitely now think there is more good than evil in this world.  If most of the human race really was evil, then what would be the point of trying to change anything or make a difference because it would just be a lost cause right?  So therefore, I can't believe that.  I refuse to believe that.  I hope that I'm never too afraid or too hesitant to be a voice for what's right for someone that needs it. 

Sorry for all the deep thoughts tonight, I think it's time to settle in with a Disney movie.  :) 
Oh and I had another update from the peace corps this morning!  My dental review is complete and I have no holds. :)  Just waiting on medical now, which makes me nervous, anxious, scared, excited..all of the above.  Lol anyone else scared?  Sometimes it just hits me what a big deal it all is.  I know most of us are excited for the adventure and all it has to offer, but do you ever just get scared too?  I just don't want fear to decide for me, but that's easier said than done since I don't have an invitation yet and I'm not on the brink of leaving EVERY thing.  I'll face it all when it comes.  LIVE WITH INTENTION!
*Hope everyone is peaceful and safe tonight *

1 comment:

  1. I got notice about 10 days ago that my invitation to serve is in the mail (I am studying abroad in Costa Rica, so it is taking awhile to arrive). When I got the news of the official invitation being on it's way I was SO excited, but soon after I got that sudden ping of fear and a little bit of doubt. I think that feeling sets in at some point for every applicant/invitee of the Peace Corps. And I agree with you, you can't let those feelings paralyze you into not going or not continuing with the journey. Best of luck to you with the rest of the process!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!