Nervous. Apprehensive. Excited.
These are all words that describe how I feel towards Peace Corps right now. I've been watching the peace corps wiki site a good bit to see what new countries have been added to the list of invites. I'm starting to see more invites go out for July and August which is the time I'm nominated for and it makes me nervous! Dominican Republic hasn't been added to the list for that time frame yet, but since I know DR is not a guarantee I'm seeing what my other options might be. I read another applicant's blog that is nominated for Business Advising leaving the same time frame as me but her region is Africa. So it makes me wonder if that's where I could be headed if DR doesn't work out. I had read on the wiki site before that a lot of Business Advising people go to Africa..not entirely sure how I feel about that but I'm rolling with it and it's really too soon to worry about that.
Peace Corps has had my medical kit for about 3 weeks now, so maybe I'll know something about medical clearance in just a few more weeks. It does just get more nerve wracking the closer it all gets. Right now I'm just floating in my world like nothing is different, but in a few short months A LOT could be different. The very thought of having to pack my suitcases for two years abroad (a second time) makes me stressed. I do have a little experience with it since I did this once before and been through the whole staging process, so I like to think I won't make some of the same mistakes. Last time I packed waaay too much and know I would have to lighten the load this time around because dealing with two heavy suitcases, by myself, in a foreign country just sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.
One of my main motivations for wanting to do Peace Corps is to get some work experience abroad. As I've mentioned before I'd really like to work for the UN, the State Dept, or some IO, NGO, etc. I'm just soo not qualified for anything like that right now. A Bachelor's degree in Political Science doesn't really get you far, so I'm hoping Peace Corps can help be a foot in the door. I just worry that if Peace Corps doesn't work out again, how will I get to where I want to be? I applied for an internship a few years ago with the State Department and was actually accepted and it sound like such an AMAZING internship. I would have been working in the Bureau of International Organization Affairs and would have gone to New York for a few weeks to work at the UN. It was pretty much a dream come true. Unfortunately I had to turn it down, because it wasn't paid. My parents and I didn't have the money to support me living and working in DC for several months without being paid. I've applied to take a recruitment exam with the UN but wasn't accepted and I'm just not really sure where to go from here. If anyone has any kind of advice I'm really open to suggestions!! Is anyone else looking to work in this same kind of field later on?
I know we get asked this all the time, but why do you want to join Peace Corps? Is it for the travel? For the experience of a new culture? To get out of the States and away from your current life for a while? To help others and learn a new way of life? All of the above?
Whatever your reason may be, I hope we all get what we want out of the experience.
Jacque, your story really breaks my heart. :(
ReplyDeleteBeing that close to a dream internship, but the only thing in the way - money.
I actually thought about doing the Americorps (less of a time commitment, and closer to my family) when I got out of college, because the job market was so weak and it seemed like it'd be a good experience. Plus, it'd be helping people. but I never really got serious about it.
I hope that things do look up and that the "second chance" goes your way. Your passion comes through your writing. You deserve it.
Hey - I am in the same boat as you! I was nominated for Environmental and Water Resources Engineering in Central or South America leaving August/September. And medical is EXACTLY the same, the received mine like the day after yours, and I've already received dental clearance. It's so stressful just sitting here trying to be patient - it's actually affecting my schoolwork a bit! Medical is expected to take 4-6 weeks, so try to stay calm about it. I'm going to email my assistant after 4 weeks to see if there are any updates!
ReplyDeleteThe DR is one of the countries that I've narrowed down for my departure! Perhaps we will both end up heading there in August
Good luck!
Hey! That is so cool! I am actually in the application process for Peace Corps too! I've been dying to write about it on my blog but I can't yet because I haven't let my work know yet. I have already been cleared in medical and dental so I'm literally waiting for a letter. I'm supposed to leave end of June. My region is somewhere in central asia working with youth. I'm so excited!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Jacque, thank you for your beautiful comment on my blog. It really touched my heart and your prayers are very appreciated!
ReplyDeleteI'll be sending up prayers for you, too! I never went through the Peace Corps application process, but I have friends who did and I remember it being a stressful time for them. I hope that it all works out the way it should!