So as the holiday approaches, I have to say that Valentine's day is just not on my radar and hasn't been for a long time, whether I'm dating someone or not. Nothing against the holiday or those that really enjoy it, it's just never been a big deal for me and was kinda ruined early on.
The first guy I was seriously dating was someone that I worked with. We were both managers at a restaurant and I had asked off that Valentine's day in hopes of getting to relax and spend the day getting ready for our night out. Well the night before the guy I was dating decided to go out with his friend and stayed out all night drinking and just having a good time. He ended up wrecking his truck and called me in the wee morning to ask me to work his shift on Valentine's day. So just a few hours later I was getting up to go into work and let me tell you it was busy as shiiiiit that day. Who would have thought that many people would want pizza on Valentine's day...it was ridiculous. So after working my butt off all day I go home to get ready to go out with the boyfriend and another couple. All in all it was just a bummer of a day, my boyfriend was lame and didn't get me anything at all, not even a card. And the holiday isn't about gifts by any means, but the thought behind it and there was no "thought" from this guy that loved me. I don't want to talk crap about this guy, he's not a bad guy, maybe a little selfish and we were young at the time, he just didn't give me high hopes for this particular holiday.
The day hasn't always been bad for me, last year was the best so far. I had been casually dating a guy for a few months and he really went all out for me. I've come to expect nothing or very little on this holiday. If I'm getting spoiled by anyone on this day it's from my dad =) but last year was different. The guy I was dating sent me flowers at work, cooked dinner for me and I had a stuffed bear and some of the best chocolate I've ever had waiting on me too. It was a great night and even started snowing and we went for a little walk in it. Definitely a great Valentines day. This year I'm more focused on the giving of gifts, particularly to my parents. I'm going to pick up some chocolate covered strawberries to share with my mom and an itunes gift card for my dad. May not sound like a lot but I think it's something they'll both enjoy. Maybe I'll get some flowers for myself because who doesn't like fresh, pretty flowers?
I hope that everyone has a great holiday, whether you love the day or despise it, whether you're single, dating, or married I hope it's a day of happiness and love.
I hope your Valentine's Day is great tomorrow, too! And I hadn't realized it until you mentioned it, but dads are the best valentines, aren't they? :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a good Valentine's Day anyway. I feel completely neutral about the "holiday." =)
ReplyDeleteWhitney