Unfortunately this post isn't going to be a very happy one. I'm going to be a bit of a Debbie Downer here so bear with me for a minute. It's a shame that my 100th post has to be this one, but it's kind of fitting too.
When I first started this blog it was to document my journey through the Peace Corps application process and eventually my service. I'm afraid that for now my Peace Corps journey is coming to an end I think. I emailed my placement officer today to see if she found out anything from the Education desk about a possible placement for me. She wrote back a little while later to say that the Education desk is in the same position as the Business desk in that there are too many applicants and too few positions available. So basically no, there is not a position available for me.
Apparently, I'm not qualified enough. The people that are getting positions in education have extensive experience in ESL or are full time teachers. Well I knew from the start I wasn't super qualified for an education placement. What I'm curious is what kind of experience do you have to have to qualify for a business placement? And if I'm really not qualified why did I get a nomination, twice?? Why let people go through a year of jumping through hoops and tests and emails and phone calls just to tell them at the last minute that there isn't a place for them?
I was told I now have two options. One is to withdraw my application completely and reapply sometime in the future if I want. Or two, keep my application in a non-active status type way and call throughout the year to see if they have a place for me. Sooo yeah, neither of those sound very hopeful.
Before all the Peace Corps news, I heard from the doctor first thing this morning. First time I ever had the actual doctor call me, twice. Like I mentioned in the last post after reading up on hyperthyroidism or an over active thyroid I thought that might be the issue. The test results shows that it IS the problem. So they've already called in a prescription for me, which I forgot to pick up tonight. And next week I have to go to the hospital twice for a thyroid scan. Yay! I love spending my day off at the hospital. Not to mention the doctor appointment that was already scheduled for Tuesday. Three days in a row of hospitals and doctors. Waaaaahhh!
I'm glad to know that there is a reason behind all these symptoms and that I'm in fact NOT crazy. Apparently it can be pretty serious if it's not treated. I feel pretty lucky I went to the pulmonologist when I did or else it could have gone on a lot longer untreated. A little scary. It sounds like the scan is going to take a long time and probably not be the most fun.
Funny how a few days can totally change your perspective on things. A few days ago I was a positive thinker and everything was falling into place. Lol and now I'm not quite sure where things are falling. Falling for sure, but falling where? Not really into place.
I'm really not feeling like a Debbie Downer, there's just a lot going on right now. I'm definitely bummed about Peace Corps and just unsure what the future will hold as far as that goes. I don't think I'm done trying, but I can't see myself going through the whole application process again for a third time.
It really is okay though right? There's a reason for it?
Maybe Peace Corps just isn't in the cards for me right now and maybe that's okay.
It just means there is something else out there for me.
I am so sorry to hear about the Peace Corps-- a friend of mine who had applied was also asked to withdraw her application, and unfortunately, that hit her hard enough that I don't think she's going to spend the time and energy to apply again any time in the future. It seems like it's its own version of a screening process--you get through all the other hoops, and then, oh well, you're sort of rejected, if you keep applying THEN we'll let you in!!
ReplyDeleteIt seems a little out of whack to me. If there are people out there who are passionate about the service, then I feel like a place shouldn't be so hard to find. Here's hoping that the third time is the charm for you, if you still want to pursue it.
And good grief with the medical stuff! I just got done with three docs in three days today. We are some cool kids club, aren't we? :-) Take care love, and yes, it IS okay if things aren't working out perfectly right now, and there WILL be something better down the road. These are the times of waiting that reveal to us the most about ourselves. Here's to a fantastic glass of wine, a good night's sleep, and clarity in the coming weeks.
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. I could tell from your blog that you have really been wanting this to work out, and I know that I would be devastated to be in your position right now. The budget cuts and economic situation in the country right now has really changed the Peace Corps dynamic and invite process, and it's really not fair the way some of us have been treated during the process.
ReplyDeleteHave you asked about the possibility of a health position? That was a program that was suggested to me as an alternative to my program. The only requirements are a bachelors degree and a demonstrated interest in health. If you have any sort of volunteer experience with something like March of Dimes, Relay for Life, or Children's Miracle Network, you could sell that as an interested. I know you have put so much into this and hate to see you so discouraged. Go out there and fight for your invitation!
I'm glad to hear you found the reason for your medical problems and are getting everything taken care of. It's really frustrating hen you know something isn't right but you can't figure out what it is. Fingers crossed that this new medicine.
Good luck on whatever your decision is with the Peace Corps stuff. Maybe it just isn't meant to be at the moment. Go visit your guy in DC and see what life brings you!
Hello there, I know that this is extremely frustrating, but it's part of the reality with the Peace Corps. I too was told that I wasn't qualified enough for the Peace Corps. SO, I volunteered a bit and tried to move from the Peace Corps dream. Then, a year later, I realized I couldn't and reapplied. It took another year, but the I got my invitation. I was sworn in last September in a West African country, then six months later, I was evacuated because of terrorism. There was options to continue but they were limited. I beat out many of my fellow volunteers for a spot in another country only to be told the day I was to leave that I wasn't medically qualified. So, I came back to the states and had to decided if I could go through all of that again. I decided that I could and had to go through unnerving difficult medical process and finally received basically my third invitation. What I am trying to say through the retelling of my experience is to have faith. If you want this, you will get it. Peace Corps does make you work for it, but it's meant to be, it will be worth it. Good luck on your decision and journey.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear that. *hugs*
ReplyDelete