So I think I should really write my post BEFORE I start reading every one's blogs. I start reading, and reading, and reading and then my eyes get tired and I don't really feel like writing. But I'm going to write anyways now because I feel like I haven't written as much the last month or so.
And it's time for a few more updates. Not super exciting updates, but updates nonetheless.
As I mentioned in my last post the Peace Corps Placement Officer called Tuesday and left a message for me. I called her back Wednesday when I was off work and left a message for her. Didn't hear back from her. I called two hours later, and again and again. Lol, I hope she doesn't have caller ID or else she knows I went semi-stalkerish on her.
Thursday comes around and I email a lady that had been contacting me from the Business desk to get the Placement Officer's email address. I then email the PO to give her my cell phone number because for some reason she's calling my house and by the time I get the messages it's too late to call her back. So I emailed and she wrote back saying she would be in touch with me that day...she wasn't.
And then hello Friday. Around 4 in the afternoon I get the blessed call from a 202 area code. Of course I was at work at the time so I excused myself into an office for 20 minutes or so. It really wasn't a super up lifting call. She told me that unfortunately I will not be placed in a business program. She said there are a lot of applicants, a lot of people that missed their programs over the summer, people that are highly skilled in the business area apparently. She went on to see how I felt about doing an education/teaching program like I was nominated for last time. I told her I'm definitely open to it.
It is a bummer because I was super excited about doing something business related. Education just wasn't where I wanted to be, but I'll do it and be happy about it. I just feel more qualified for business and I'm afraid they're going to want me to get some more volunteer experience teaching or tutoring and I just don't know what I'll have time for with school and working full time.
She told me that she will get with the Education Placement Officer/s and see if they could have a place for me. It makes me worried that I won't get to go AT ALL. How terrible would that be? After a year of going through the application process again, I could be told at the last minute that they don't have a place for me? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that that won't happen. She said she will get back to me early next week with some more information. I was hoping that since I was hearing from her in August I would get an invite leaving in the January-March time frame, but I guess everything is still up in the air.
I wish I had more people around me that were actually supportive of this decision to do the Peace Corps. My excitements are short lived. My parents would prefer me not to go and definitely do not share my excitement when I get an update or move a step closer to an actual invite.
But if Peace Corps doesn't work out I will keep working, I will get my Master's in Political Science, and enjoy the continued possibilities with the military guy in DC.
Speaking of school. I need to register next week because classes start on the 29th. So I need to get registered and paid up with a quickness. I had a certain class in mind that I wanted to take, but after being advised by email, I'm pretty much being told I need to take a certain class. Now this certain class does not sound fun at all. No bueno. So I'm not sure what to do. I feel like if I'm paying for the class I should be able to take what I want, but maybe I should follow the advice of the Director of the Graduate Program.
I also found out there is a new graduate student orientation that is mandatory for me to attend on Friday. It's kind of a pain, but kind of exciting. They'll serve us lunch and I'll get to meet all the other new graduate students, as well as the graduate assistants and professors. Pretty cool.
I'm just excited to be getting back into school, to be back in that scene and for everything not to revolve around work.
Monday I'm also supposed to find out if I got into the writing workshop that I applied for. It's a little nerve wracking knowing that some strangers read my work. I think anything artistic is so personal and to have that judged makes me nervous. Of course it's worth it if they love it and I get in, but if they don't....
I guess that's all my updates for tonight, I hope to have more to tell you next week!
I'm sure it's difficult to stick to your conviction when there are those in your life who do not support it. I hope you aren't listening to them. You're working so hard to join a very noble cause - that's something to be proud of, even if your parents don't think you should go.
ReplyDeleteEducation shouldn't be so bad. It may not be your top choice but then again, if business is your strong suit then maybe opting for a different task would be good for you. Build your other skills, make you more well-rounded. And education is definitely worthwhile especially in countries where they actually appreciate such things, as opposed to the Western world where we are so jaded we accept it as a fact of life.
And super excited to hear about your grad school! As a current grad student I encourage you to get to know them as much as possible. You're all in this together and so many of them will become your friends. I keep my distance from my classmates, which is not good. Don't make my mistake lol.
~SP
I hope you get some good news about the Peace Corps next week. Make sure you share with us when you do, because I'm excited for you!! And good luck with school!
ReplyDeleteHello! I just accepted your friend request at 20SB and saw that you're a Peace Corps hopeful too! I actually just got my invitation last Thursday! But I was reading your timeline and it looks like we've been in the process for roughly the same time period! I was also nominated for a July departure for Asia in the YD sector. Now I have no idea where I'll be going...but I'll be leaving sometime in Jan-March. Don't give up hope! Seriously! I can't even tell you how many times I have cried and bemoaned how agonizingly long this process is. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I should get my invitation kit any day now, and you will too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment :) A for sharing what is going on with you :) I am sure that it will all work out for the best!
ReplyDeleteHope you have had the chance to check out our Tiffany & Co. necklace giveaway!
Blessings,
Kat
www.maryanddyer.blogspot.com