Sunday, April 17, 2011

Needing Advice-Work Related

Ok so I'm in need of a little advice, a little help in regards to a work situation. 

A position has come open in management, it's low man on the totem pole in management, but still management.  So it would be a promotion and a raise from what I'm doing now.  Granted the position is salary so I don't know how much of an actual raise it would end up being. 

I feel pretty sure that if I apply for the position I would be the one to get it.  I don't mean for that to sound egotistical, just looking at the facts in that I'm probably the most qualified.  However, life is strange so there is still the very real possibility that I wouldn't get it. 

I do want to advance with this company..for the most part. 

The catch with this promotion is that I would have to change locations and would actually go back to a branch that I worked at previously.  I mean..I left that branch for a reason ya know?  I feel like it's filled with a lot of drama and a lot of people have left that branch, either being let go from the company or just wanting to change locations, which is what I did.  The difference is that I would be going back in a manager position, which could make a big difference.  When I worked there before I felt like I was the work horse.  I'm afraid going back into it that I would be taken advantage of, because I would be the bottom rung manager and the two managers above me are kind of buddy buddy.  It's a busy location and could mean a stress filled time.   

I really like the place I work right now and I'm just afraid I will be miserable moving locations.
 But is it stupid to pass up a promotion and a raise? 
I'm afraid I'm making myself look bad by NOT applying. 

And of course in the back of my head is the Peace Corps. 
I could be leaving in a few short months so is it even worth making the change? 
Or on the other hand I would only have to work at this branch that could potentially make me miserable for a few months, so why not?
But I'm also worried that Peace Corps may not work out, maybe I don't have an invitation coming my way, and then I could possibly be stuck at this new location. 

So is the promotion and the raise worth it? 

I remember a manager from a previous job telling me that a promotion is always a good thing, and one should always be willing to step up to the plate.  I definitely feel like I'm worthy of the position, that location just wouldn't be my top choice.  I also remember being unsure of moving to the location I'm currently at.  So maybe that's just my nature?  I always imagine the worst and I'm psyching myself out. 

What to do?  What to do?

Help please!!

5 comments:

  1. can't hurt to apply. if you're selected, you can always turn it down

    ReplyDelete
  2. In any situation... don't do something just because you feel like others expect it of you, or it's the most 'logical' thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Katrina Kay summed it up quite nicely. Beyond that, all I can add is my observation that you seem to know what you want to decide, but want support from others for your decision. Make your decision. It will prove to be the right one, and you will never have to second guess whether you should have taken the advice of others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jacque, I saw that you posted this on 20sb.net.
    1) Apply. You can't make any decisions unless you apply and find out if you get the job or not.
    2) Once you GET the job, then you can make a decision on taking it.
    Once they do the interviewing and process all the information - this could take a month or longer. In that time, you may know your Peace Corps decision.

    We tend to over-think these situations without answers. You are uncomfortable because you didn't like that location at all. But you cannot truly make the decision until it is yours to make!

    Once you are accepted to the job, you will know a lot more information about it as well. Who you are reporting to, who you are managing, etc. Right now, you are working with limited information.

    Good luck! Let me know what heppens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worry is just future thinking with twist. You've received some great information above. If you're able, try to live in today. One breath and step at a time. Applying can't hurt, can it? If you want to, do so. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!