Find your purpose and fling your life out to it. Find a way or make one. Try with all your might. Self-made or never made. ~Orison Swett Marden
This is my quote of the month for June. A very inspiring quote I think.
An encouragement to really find your life's purpose, your life's passion and devote everything you've got to it.
It's a reminder we all need once in a while.
A reminder to never give up.
A reminder that this life is what we make of it.
Self-made or never made.
This quote has really had me thinking. Between the delay with the Peace Corps and the recent promotion at work, I'm not sure what's the best path for me. Peace Corps is just such an unknown and I worry about finding a job after service as I see some current volunteers worrying about now. But as my former high school Calculus teacher told me today, you only have one life.
I'm not giving up on Peace Corps, its just a lot to think about. How do you walk away from a good, solid, reliable thing? Something you can build a life on? Put that aside for the unknown?
I don't think I want to make a career out of this job, but I definitely could.
I don't think I want to stay in Memphis, but it's fine for now.
I haven't had any news from the Peace Corps in almost a month now.
I have no idea when I'll be leaving, where I'll be going, or what I'll be doing.
But I know I want to do something extraordinary. I want to see the world. I need to remind myself of that every time I start to get too comfortable. Every time I stop reaching for more.
It's scary though, but I'm sure anything good in life, anything worth having is scary at some point.
How do you get through those days? When it's easier to stick with what you have?
When it's easier to stay where you are, instead of going for the unknown?
I'm not giving up on Peace Corps, its just a lot to think about. How do you walk away from a good, solid, reliable thing? Something you can build a life on? Put that aside for the unknown?
I don't think I want to make a career out of this job, but I definitely could.
I don't think I want to stay in Memphis, but it's fine for now.
I haven't had any news from the Peace Corps in almost a month now.
I have no idea when I'll be leaving, where I'll be going, or what I'll be doing.
But I know I want to do something extraordinary. I want to see the world. I need to remind myself of that every time I start to get too comfortable. Every time I stop reaching for more.
It's scary though, but I'm sure anything good in life, anything worth having is scary at some point.
How do you get through those days? When it's easier to stick with what you have?
When it's easier to stay where you are, instead of going for the unknown?
I allow myself moments to scream a little and run wild in a field or drive fast on the highway with the music loud, belting to the heavens.
ReplyDeleteAnd then after I've had a chance to expel that anxious energy, I sigh. I release. I relax a little. And I start looking at my dreams and my plans with a fresher set of eyes and I review all the data and challenge all the arguments and finger all the statistics and at the end of all that, when I STILL want to follow my passion... that's when I know it's right and good and that it WILL yield answers in due course.
I wish you luck in you "what's next?" phase and hope you find some peace of heart in what you decide to pursue.
GOod luck with the Peace Corps! And being scary isn't always a bad thing. It can be completely exciting!
ReplyDeleteAnd boredom prevents me from sticking with the status quo. That's how I get through thsoe days.