Friends I have to admit it has been a REALLY rough few days.
Drama, meanness and a sensitive and emotional me does not make a good combination.
And in the end it has left me wondering what makes a good manager? And is that me?
I know you can't please everyone and customer service is DAMN hard sometimes.
The drama started over facebook. A co-worker at another branch posted her status as "Lazy people at work, gotta love them!" Other employees at that branch started commenting on it and now there's not that many people that work there so if it's not you or you or you..hmmm who does that leave?
It's just not nice or professional and I didn't understand why she would put that on facebook.
It doesn't make the company, that branch, or any of the employees look good.
So since I'm unable to keep my mouth shut and that rubbed me the wrong way..I put exactly that on facebook. "Talking bad about your co-workers on facebook doesn't make anyone look good." Well it turned into this big thing between me and the AVP at that branch. The AVP wasn't even the one that put the comment on there, but I guess she had to stick up for her buddy. The fact that she had to get so defensive about it tells me she knows they were in the wrong. Needless to say we're no longer facebook friends.
Looking back, I probably shouldn't have put my status out there addressing the issue. But I still think it wasn't right of them and they think they can get by with treating other people badly because they're in a clique.
Then Friday I had a customer SCREAM at me over the phone. She continued to scream at my manager over something that neither of us had done. It was actually a little funny because this lady was just crazy, but it still doesn't feel good to be screamed at or have a complaint against you.
Yesterday at work I was lucky to have yet another irate customer. This lady wasn't crazy because then I could have laughed it off. No, she was just mean. I opened her account three months ago and she hasn't used it since. She came in to say she hasn't used it because she never received her checks. Well...ma'am I didn't order you checks because you didn't tell me to order you checks and you had no money in your account in which to pay for them. Oh my goodness she went off. She wanted my manager and as I'm walking off to get her she says, "Because you're stupid!"
Wow, was that really necessary? Does calling me stupid make you feel better? Real mature lady. You're fifty and get off calling a 26 year old stupid because you're ignorant of the banking system? Who the hell opens an account and does nothing with it for THREE months because you didn't receive checks? She received a debit card. And if it was that big of a deal don't you think you should have come in sooner??
The lady was giving me the evil eye the entire time, I thought she was going to come across the counter and choke me. All over checks.. And then she wanted an apology. I had apologized before my manager came over, but I apologized again to her. And no I was not as sweet as I could have been, because if you think I'm going to get on my knees and beg for forgiveness after you've called me stupid, then YOU are the stupid one.
If I've made a mistake I have no problem admitting it and apologizing and doing everything I can to correct it. But in this case I don't feel like I made a mistake and this lady was just mean.
So after two days in a row of complaints on me, it just makes me question things. Maybe I'm not cut out for this. Maybe I'm not such a good manager. Maybe I'm not so great at customer service.
In customer service where do you draw the line? How much crap do you take from someone before sticking up for yourself? I don't deserve to be treated that way, but if I had responded like I would have liked to, it really would not have been a good situation.
I had to have a cry after that one. Sometimes you just need a good cry, you know?
Well I cried yesterday and just now had another one. I hate crying, it gives me such a headache.
We invited my grandfather down to have a Father's Day dinner with us. When he first got here I was taking pictures with him and everything was fine. But after not even five minutes he proceeds to call me fat and ask when I'm due. Sigh..I was just done after that comment. I, again, broke down crying.
I mean I just don't get it. I am NOT fat. And isn't that the simplest, most basic of rules and manners, "Treat others as you wish to be treated."
You know maybe I am sensitive or emotional. But I wouldn't treat people like that.
So friends, that is the breakdown of my last few days.
I am on vacation now and I refuse to cry anymore. It is all smiles from here on out.
Tomorrow is the GRE and also my concert. I kept thinking the concert was Tuesday, but I was wrong. Whoops.
But here is hoping that I rock the GRE and that this week is pretty fabulous!
First of all, good luck on the GRE! Get up early, eat a good breakfast, don't forget to breathe (or bring enough pens/pencils).
ReplyDeleteAnd secondly, it sounds like you did exactly what you should have done in those situations. The facebook thing is just ridiculous, it has the potential to cause so much unnecessary drama, and I firmly believe that the work world should not collide with the personal on a massive social network like that. I'm sorry about the crazy screamers--some people just really have no concept of how to be good consumers. I always take this approach--diplomacy will always give you the upper hand when it comes to work issues. Being frank, straight-forward, and honest while recognizing the other side (without getting stepped on) is the best way to go about it, I have found. Customer service industries are built on the ability of those working in it to keep cool and remember that they are ones qualified for that job and that a single customer is just that: one person, one complaint, one bad day, not the defining moment of your career. So you haven't done anything wrong, these people just all failed and decided to sneak up on you at the same time. So take a breather! Go vacay! Have a drink! Close your eyes and breathe, and don't doubt yourself or your ability to manage because of these incidences.
When you start getting 80 complaints a day for a month straight, THEN you can worry. :-D
And SUPER epic fail for your grandfather. That is just lack of tact and common decency.
ReplyDeleteI've had a lot of jobs, and I never cried about work nearly as much as I did when I was working customer service. But I think that you handled it all very well. Good luck with the GRE!
ReplyDelete