Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Follow Your Own Rules

Today I realized again how some things never change and how irrelevant age really is. 
In my opinion age has nothing to do with falling in love, maturity, how we like to look, etc.

On my lunch break today I went to a restaurant and ate alone.  Eating alone in public isn't something I LOVE doing, but it has it's advantages.  It's a little me time. 
Time away from the office and our tiny breakroom and a chance to be social. 

I was seated by an elderly lady who was also eating alone.  Now when you're eating alone what else do you have to do but to listen to other people's conversations?  It usually turns up something interesting or at least amusing.  This lady and another couple nearby did not disappoint me today.

As they conversed across the aisle, the lady nearest me was explaining how her grandchildren call her Gran.  She didn't allow them to call her Granny because that just sounded so OLD.  This lady had to be in her late 60s or 70s, but clearly is young at heart.  I couldn't help but notice how her hair was done and her nails were painted.  Some things never change.  As a woman we like to look nice, we like to pamper ourselves.  Whether it's the 4 year old playing dress up or a 70 year old with a perm and red nails, it's all the same. 
We like to feel womanly, feminine, special, no matter our age.

And what is age really?  Nothing but a number.  I still feel the same as I did 8 years ago.  The only difference is that I have had more experiences.  Maybe I am a little wiser.  But to be honest, I'd almost rather not be.  I'd rather have the hopefulness of innocence.  Where I wasn't so consumed by things I should be doing or by where I should be in life.  Where it was still okay for me to follow a wild and crazy dream.  Because lets be honest as we get older we're supposed to and expected to make the adult and responsible decisions.  It's looked down upon to throw caution to the wind and do the unexpected.

When did we as a society become so safe?  And perhaps so scared ? 
Scared of the unknown to the point where we hide behind responsibility.

But what does being an adult even mean? 
Does it mean cooking a well balanced meal each night? 
Does it mean following all the rules?

I think being an adult means you get to make your own rules. 
It means eating cereal and ice cream for dinner if you want.
It means you get to decide your own path. 
It means throwing that damn caution to the wind when the time calls for it.

Another blogger today asked what drives you in life?  What's your purpose?
Are you driven by money, power, material possessions, etc?
Or are you driven by your passion?
Are you doing everything to make your passions the center, the purpose of your life?

This put me in such a better place with my decision between Peace Corps and my current job.  I really like my job right now, but working at a bank is not my passion. 
Helping others and traveling are two of my passions. 
So when the time comes I know I'll choose Peace Corps.  I'll choose the unknown and make perhaps a less responsible choice.  I'll give up the 40 hour job, the benefits and 401k to go down the path less traveled. 

Which path are you choosing?

5 comments:

  1. Inspiring. I want to be doing my passions in life. I feel like I have tons of passions but none that are developed yet. I love to dance, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna be a dancer. I love food and cooking, but I'm not going to be a chef. I love writing and reading but I won't be an author. I love babies... should I work with them? So many things that I'm interested in and I hate that I haven't taken the steps to pursue them... even if as only hobbies... hobbies that I'm passionate about. I wish there was a way to get away from the 9 to 5, 40 hour a week job, and really do what I love. I don't know what that should be yet, but I know it ain't this! I always love your posts, so deep, and relateable.

    I know you'll choose the Peace Corps one day, girl! And then you'll be living your dream and your passions & dreams will be your reality :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I would have loved to do Peace Corps after college :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so living the path less traveled! I quit my stable job of 5 years, left behind the benefits and 401k to care for my grandpa. And when that's over? I plan to continue on my own path and find my passion and enjoy adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having me on your blog roll! You are on mine now as well. Keep up the amazing posts!!!
    xoxo
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea that being an adult means making your own rules. So many people let fear of the unknown and other people's expectations dictate what they do in life, and I think it is awesome that you know that living an unconventional life is what will make you happy!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your PC adventure!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!