Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Dating" Adventures

After a conversation on the 20 something bloggers website I decided to reactivate my profile on an internet dating site.  If I haven't mentioned it before, I'm pretty skeptical about actually meeting and dating someone from one of these sites, but I guess there's nothing to lose. 

When I deactivate my profile I delete everything.  Just in case, I don't like to leave my information out there.  So when I reactivated it I only changed the photo and didn't answer any of the questions or about me section.  Pretty much right away after reactivating it this really cute guy starts talking to me.  He's sending me messages and we start talking through the chat on the site. 

He asks what I'm looking for and I let him know just to meet new people and taking things slow.  Well during this first conversation he starts talking about sex!  Lol..um no sorry I don't want to meet up with you to have sex.  I politely let him know we weren't looking for the same things. 

He said, "Well if you're even considering it we could meet up and just see how things go."

Lol, I told him I'd keep that in mind. 

When I told my friend about this guy and what happened he said at least it was a boost to my ego.  Yeah I guess that's one way to look at it?  Maybe?  Or not..lol

It's kind of a bummer because he was sooo cute.  And I don't see too many guys that stand out as really cute online.  But umm..yeah not what I'm looking for.  A little scary actually.  I wouldn't want to meet up with this guy at all cause what if he won't take no for answer?  You just never know.

The next day I got a message from another guy just saying hi and he asked why I was looking for just short term dating.  He asked if I was moving or something more scandalous?  He immediately wrote another message letting me know the scandalous question was a joke and he realizes some members of his gender are jerks.  (Lol..yeah I had an example of that just last night!)

I have friendship and short term dating as what I'm looking for because
a) I do hope to be leaving with the Peace Corps in the semi near future
b) I've been skeptical about meeting someone worthy of a long term relationship

I realize now that short term dating might be sending out the wrong message, hence why I attracted Mr. Do You Want to Have Sex?  Or maybe he's just a sleaze bag.

I've been chatting with the second guy and he seems very nice and normal and I'm actually a little excited to see where this might lead.  I've never met up with anyone that I've talked to from an online site, but he might be the first.  He seems to have a great personality and a good sense of humor, so even if it doesn't work out for a relationship or dating there's at least friend potential.   

Online dating is just such a different world.  I hear about success stories so it sucks me back in, but I'm always unsure of how comfortable I am about the whole idea of it.     

5 comments:

  1. A friend of mine married a guy she met on an online dating site last year. Not that she didn't go through her share of creeps and jerks first. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met nothing but creepers when I tried a short stint of online dating... I'm always a fan of meeting-in-person and developing a relationship through a friendship first. But I also understand that it does get harder to meet new people in the first place depending on where you live, your job, et cetera. So just be careful, be safe, if you do decide to meet up with this guy down the line, make sure someone else knows where you are, or even have it be a group thing. I mean, you're smart enough to handle yourself it seems like, but the mom/protective friend side of me is like, "safety first!" :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, omg is that guy for real? He wants to get down to business real quick! I mean isn't that what the personals section is for on Craigslist?!

    I have a friend who is all about just a casual date or two from match.com. She hasn't found herself in a sticky situation yet. If the guy seems normal go out for some apps or drinks, it couldn't hurt. It might be a lot of fun! If on the date you were worried that the guy MAY be a creep just tell him you're meeting up with a friend after the date and then split! :)

    p.s. I also think that we could be friends outside of the blogger world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Online dating is so hard! Good for you for getting out there. Hopefully the creeps will stay away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your boldness! I hope something great comes out of your adventure in online dating.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please leave me a comment!